Plumbing in the Home/Main Drain

Question
I had a new main drain installed a few years ago.  The ground around the cleanout has sunk & I would like to add more dirt, but the cleanout is level with the ground.  Can I add an extension piece to the cleanout & if so, is it difficult to do?

Answer
Hello Debbie,

It is not uncommon for ground to settle around an area that has been dug out and then backfilled. Unless purposely compacted wwhen put back, the backfill is never going to be as dense as the soil around it and will tend to settle a bit over time.

Yes, you may add an extension to the cleanout. Another option would be to simply add a "vault" over the cleanout that has a removable lid for access to the cleanout cover. These can be found in either concrete or resin plastic and are fairly inexpensive.

Something like this would work fine: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-7-in-Circular-Valve-Box-53210/202314079

Good luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick