Plumbing in the Home/Main Drain

I had a new main drain installed a few years ago.  The ground around the cleanout has sunk & I would like to add more dirt, but the cleanout is level with the ground.  Can I add an extension piece to the cleanout & if so, is it difficult to do?

Hello Debbie,

It is not uncommon for ground to settle around an area that has been dug out and then backfilled. Unless purposely compacted wwhen put back, the backfill is never going to be as dense as the soil around it and will tend to settle a bit over time.

Yes, you may add an extension to the cleanout. Another option would be to simply add a "vault" over the cleanout that has a removable lid for access to the cleanout cover. These can be found in either concrete or resin plastic and are fairly inexpensive.

Something like this would work fine:

Good luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal