Plumbing in the Home/sediment filter

Question
Dear Mr. Tabor:

My Mom lives in a rural area in southeastern Ohio and the water to her house is supplied by a spring that sits about 75 feet away (downhill) from her pump, which is in the basement of the house.  There is no holding tank, so the water is pumped up as needed. The spring is rather primitive and there is nothing there to filter out the water that comes into it.

She has been having problems constantly with the pump and I believe it is due to sediment from the spring clogging up the pump.  She and my beloved deceased Dad had a holding tank at one time years ago, but it went kaput quickly due to the nature of the spring's contents getting into it.

Is it possible to install some sort of sediment-type filter in the line before it reaches the pump?  It would have to be in the basement.  Do you think that would help the problem?  

Thank you for your time,
Barb

Answer
Hi Barb,

No, I don't think a filter in front of the pump is the answer.  There shouldn't be anything in the suction line of the pump except maybe a screen (well point) in the spring.  The smallest one I know of has four thousands of an inch openings from top to bottom.  This will keep out all but the finest particles which wouldn't hurt a jet pump at all.  Then after the pump you can put in a sand filter to get the rest if you like.  I have all these items if you can't find them locally and would be glad to send them to you.

If you would like to correspond with me more efficiently, you can visit my website at http://www.pumpsandtanks.com or email me at rt@pumpsandtanks.com

bob...

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor