Plumbing in the Home/Sump Pump

Question
Hi, I have a sump pump that runs on pressure. Problem is I don't know how to tell if the sump pump is on or off (duh:)).  If the shut off valve forms a "t" is it on or off?  If it runs with the pipe is it on or off?  Thanks so much, & I promise not to play with it again!

Answer
Hi Rae,

If the pump is running, you should be able to hear it.  It won't be loud, but there should be some noise and some vibration in the pipes.  

The valve your talking about I think is a Ball Valve.  It only turns 1/4 of a full circle.  When the handle is with the pipe, the water will flow, when the handle is across the pipe, the flow stops.

bob...

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor