Plumbing in the Home/Sump Pump

Hi, I have a sump pump that runs on pressure. Problem is I don't know how to tell if the sump pump is on or off (duh:)).  If the shut off valve forms a "t" is it on or off?  If it runs with the pipe is it on or off?  Thanks so much, & I promise not to play with it again!

Hi Rae,

If the pump is running, you should be able to hear it.  It won't be loud, but there should be some noise and some vibration in the pipes.  

The valve your talking about I think is a Ball Valve.  It only turns 1/4 of a full circle.  When the handle is with the pipe, the water will flow, when the handle is across the pipe, the flow stops.

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor

I am a Water Well Driller and Water Pump technician. I own a business in Riverview, Fl. We repair motors and pumps in shop and in the field. We repair and replace submersible and jet pumps, galvanized and bladder tanks, and their controls. Water filtration is another one of our specialties.

I started drilling and repairing wells and pumps with my dad in 1958 at the age of 13 years. I worked with him on weekends and in the summer when not in school. After graduating high school, I worked for my Dad until going into the Army in 1968. I spent three years in the Army then went back into the Well Drilling/Repair field.

Many Forums including my own.

High school and a few courses after getting out of the Army. They were offered on the GI Bill.