Plumbing in the Home/broken gate valve

Gate valve
Gate valve  
gate valve broke while turning,I want to change the gate valve but the pieces of the back of the gate valve is welded to the nut behind the valve and there is not enough thread to put on another one.Is there anyway this be could fixed? Thanks

Hi J.
I don't think it's welded, probably soldiered per the picture. The best way to handle this would be to undo the straps holding the pipe to the wall to get some working room and cut out the old valve. I would cut the pipe back 6" or so both ways for room to work. Then use new pipe and couplings to build a new setup using a new 1/4 turn ball valve rather than a gate valve.  If you are not able to do the soldiering, you will need to get a pro in there to handle this.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal