Plumbing in the Home/cartridge in kitchen faucet

Hi Dana...just a quick question. We are replacing a cartridge in our kitchen faucet. I was told by the store where I purchased the part that I need to grease part of the cartridge...I guess to facilitate insertion of the part into the faucet itself. Is this standard procedure? Will the grease "gum" up the cartridge? Will its residue get into the subsequent water that we use for drinking/cooking? If this is standard procedure, how far up the cartridge do I apply the grease? Thank you for your expertise and response. Have a wonderful day!

Hi Cindy,
There is a special "food grade" silicone grease that should be used on the O-ring portions to keep them from binding up. Some replacement cartridges come with a little capsule of this stuff. If not, maybe the place where you got it has some they can give you. It doesn't take very much to do the job.
Good luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal