Plumbing in the Home/cartridge in kitchen faucet

Question
Hi Dana...just a quick question. We are replacing a cartridge in our kitchen faucet. I was told by the store where I purchased the part that I need to grease part of the cartridge...I guess to facilitate insertion of the part into the faucet itself. Is this standard procedure? Will the grease "gum" up the cartridge? Will its residue get into the subsequent water that we use for drinking/cooking? If this is standard procedure, how far up the cartridge do I apply the grease? Thank you for your expertise and response. Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,
CJ

Answer
Hi Cindy,
There is a special "food grade" silicone grease that should be used on the O-ring portions to keep them from binding up. Some replacement cartridges come with a little capsule of this stuff. If not, maybe the place where you got it has some they can give you. It doesn't take very much to do the job.
Good luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick