Plumbing in the Home/no water pressure

Hello Bob,
I have no water pressure in the house. What I do know:
House built in 2001.  I have a well.  Bladder tank is original. Only 2-3 lbs. of pressure showing on the gauge this morning.  It got down to 13 degrees last night.  The outside faucets are frozen.  No garden hoses were hooked to faucets.  I did not put a light in the well house but do have one in there now.  I changed the whole-house water filter yesterday.  We had water as usual last night.  The vents under the house were closed last night and it is toasty down there.
What do you think?  Thanks a bunch,
Mike Gilliam

Hi Mike,

Chances are the tubing that feeds your pressure switch froze.  It's always the first thing to freeze.  It is generally 1/4" and can be copper, galvanized or plastic depending on your installer and what he uses.  If it's copper or galvanized, waving a hand torch over it back and forth should thaw it out.  Then for the future you can get a heat tape and wrap all those freezable things for the next deep freeze.

If that doesn't take care of it, let me know and if you can post some pictures of your system from different angles.  Maybe I can spot something else.

By the way, in my opinion, those whole house filters that are about 10" high are a joke.  If that's what you have leaving the cartridge won't hurt a thing but will save you some money.

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor

I am a Water Well Driller and Water Pump technician. I own a business in Riverview, Fl. We repair motors and pumps in shop and in the field. We repair and replace submersible and jet pumps, galvanized and bladder tanks, and their controls. Water filtration is another one of our specialties.

I started drilling and repairing wells and pumps with my dad in 1958 at the age of 13 years. I worked with him on weekends and in the summer when not in school. After graduating high school, I worked for my Dad until going into the Army in 1968. I spent three years in the Army then went back into the Well Drilling/Repair field.

Many Forums including my own.

High school and a few courses after getting out of the Army. They were offered on the GI Bill.