Plumbing in the Home/Bath Tub Drain

My bath tub literally takes 20 minutes to drain.  But it is totally fine just running water straight down the drain. No issues with showering, only upon opening stopper to drain the tub. All the pipes are fairly new (PVC).

Any insight on causes, troubleshooting to or potential fixes would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

trip lever waste
trip lever waste  
Hi Ray,
This sounds like an adjustment issue with the actual stopper.  Correcting would depend on which kind is installed. there are several styles used.

If it is the standard trip lever waste and overflow setup, the length of the lift rod between the trip lever and the stopper bucket can be adjusted. This can be accessed by removing the two screws at the sides of the trip lever and pulling the assembly up and out. I'll attach a pic of this typical setup.

If it is the "toe-tap" style, these can be adjusted by spinning the actual stopper in the tub to cause it to open up more. Other styles vary by manufacturer.

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal