Plumbing in the Home/Clog + Drain Maintenance

I have two questions:-

(1)  If the toilet is clogged, there is a chance that the waste may overflow into the bathtub and/or sink.  If the bathtub is clogged but the toilet is NOT, can the toilet waste still overflow into the bathtub or sink?

(2)  What is a good way to clean/maintain the bathtub/sink drain regularly?  Use vinegar + baking soda OR bleach (undiluted)?

Thanks a lot.

Hey Sue,
Sorry this has taken so long but I have tried to do this from my phone but is just kept crashing. So first, if your main drain line is blocked, it will back up your toilet and into your tub, seldom does it affect your sink due to the elevation of it, but it can.

Second, if you have long hair, that can be a lot of the problem with your drains.  I have removed the drain covers and used a wet/dry vac to suck out whatever I can just to see if I have any hair blocking it and yes, I find my long hair most the time, LOL!  I also do this at my sink and I find that my old stopper tended to trap hair also.  I also brought a small snake that I have run down my sink and tub but getting it down the tub can be difficult depending on what kind of screen or cover you have over the drain.  You can also rent larger snakes at almost any equipment rental stores.  

Bathroom sinks and tubs usually become slow and blocked for different reasons than kitchen sinks, so you have to deal with them in different ways. For cleaning bathroom drains, ordinary table salt can be a very effective ingredient in your toolbox. Pour at least one tablespoon of salt into your bathroom drain followed by 1⁄4 cup of plain white vinegar, and let it sit for an hour. Then, run HOT water to clear out the all of the loosened substances from the drain. For best results do this a second time.

I hope something here helps and good luck!

Plumbing in the Home

I have worked in Electrical Engineering for 30 years in power distribution and am now a Senior Electrical & Instrumentation Designer, but I am a handy homeowner more than anything else and have a lot of skills when it comes to home repairs. Bathroom remodeling, flooring, painting, reconditioning old wood items, plumbing, car repairs and troubleshooting most problems. I think of myself more of a teacher than someone that is going to tell you exactly what you have to do, but I will share as much info as I have to help get your problem fixed, so if you are not interested in learning then don't ask me a question or rate me if you don't like my answers. To me, it is all about the journey so lets share the trail for a short ride and see where it takes us! I also want to give thanks to both my Mom, who has passed and my Dad, who raised us with the "Can Do" attitude and instowed such confidence in not only my life but everyone that ever came in contact with them. You can do anything that you set our minds too if only you can break it down into pieces and just tackle one piece at a time, for the rest will fall into place.

My greatest accomplishment was finishing my first bathroom upgrades in my first home which helped me to sell my home is less than 3 days by myself with a For Sale By Owner sign and no more. Plus I got $10,000 more for it in just 4 years of owning it, now that is great equity.

I am CEO and founder of Spirit Heart Therapeutic Riding Center, inc a 501c3 Non Profit for Rescued Horses and At Risk Kids. It is because of my own Mother intervention, who stepped up and shared her own love of horses with me as an at risk child myself that she planted this seed. So this program was created and is her Legacy that I have been so guided to share with those in need. We teach natural horsemanship to both horse and child and I get to watch some pretty amazing things happen. The kids learn to overcome fears, gain confidence, self-esteem and leadership skills where the horses have a chance at a life where they are trained, loved and respected and become a part of something that saves a child looking for a place to belong. If you support my Dream in bringing this program to life then please Donate to the cause and know that you are touching so many lives by doing so. God Bless You!

Nursing School, 1 1/2 years of a 2 year RN program, 1976 US Army, Intelligence School, Image Interpreter, 1977 Thomas Nelson Community College, Mechanical Drafting, 1980 Newport News Shipbuilding, Designer Training Program, 1981 School Of Hard Knocks

Honorable Discharge from US ARMY, Certificate of Achievement for Graduating with Honor's from Military Intelligence School, Ft Huachuca AZ. Award from Planning Research Corporation for a Job Well Done, NASA/Langley. Hand Selected to be an Internal Auditor for an ISO 9000 Certification Program for one of my longest employers, Lockwood Greene, ATL, GA. Multiple Letters of Appreciation.