Plumbing in the Home/water pressure

Hello, I live in an area where we have a community well in California. I've noticed lately that our water pressure seems to be going down. I have checked mine and three of my neighbors pressure and it's at 25 psi or a little below. My question is, Is this below some sort of industry standards or legal minimums? It's becoming more and more of an issue. Some of my neighbors are 20-25 feet higher in elevation than we are, they must be closing in on 15 psi.
Thanks for your response, Spence Sealey

Hello Spence,
I feel for you. Low pressure is a problem.  The "functional" range is considered to be between 40 psi and 80 psi.  This is the industry standard that plumbing fixtures are designed to work with.  Outside this range, they will not work as intended.

It should also be mentioned that we are in a drought and that may have a lot to do with this. Water tables are dropping and some of the systems wells may have gone dry.  This may be causing some "rationing" or limited supply. There is a trade off between perceived supply and consumption.

As far as a mandatory minimum?  I don't know.  Lots of regulations in this area that I've never dealt with.  I would check at the County and State level for this.
Good Luck

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal