Plumbing in the Home/New Bath Tub Installation

New Tub
New Tub  

I am installing a new bath Tub, it is steel. It came with a formed foam pad underneath it that is level with the outside part of the tub that comes down and meets the floor. Now from what i understood you usually set the tub in mortar or something of that nature but it looks like this tub possibly just sits directly on the floor on  top of the foam pad? It states warranty void if removed and it is sloped from back to front.

If the answer is yes to that question (does it just sit directly on the floor), then i assume i will have to move the drain directly under the tub because the old tub was off the floor enough that it had a pipe that came out from the drain horizontally and entered the drain pipe with a "T" of sorts.

tub drain
tub drain  
Hello Jake,
Yes, replacing an above floor tub with a conventional type will require re-working the drain system. Normal tubs require the trap to be below the floor.
Look at this page...
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal