Plumbing in the Home/sewer line root killer

Question
Hi Dana,
I wonder if you have experience using the foaming root killer drain opening compound that is based upon dichlobenil? After powering into the toilet and flushing twice, how long should it take before you would expect to see improvement? The present condition is that is empties slowly.
Thanks for your answer. I am a volunteer at Allexperts, in the Chrysler repair category.

Answer
Hi Roland,
No personal experience. It's more of a "homeowner" tactic. Obviously, the problem should be located and repaired but I understand the costs. Possibly substantial depending on the circumstances.

The only way to positively locate and determine the extent of the damage is using a sewer camera but that's typically $200-$300.  If it's not too serious and reasonably accessible, it is not beyond the level of a resourceful DIY attempt. YouTube it, I'm sure it's there. Have a backup plan if you screw it up! LOL

I think the method I would use it to have the line professionally rootered properly and then use the treatment as a remedial measure to discourage re-growth or at least slow it down.  Gonna have to deal eventually! Hopefully the timing is yours and not an emergency.

Watch out!  Thanksgiving is the number one busiest day for rooter companies. Ask me how I know.  Hehehe
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick