Plumbing in the Home/plumbing

Question
recently finished my basement. before reno the main waterline was exposed and now with drywall put up the main waterline is now behind drywall. two times the main waterline has froze but i was able to easily thaw it with a blowdryer as i do have an access panel to the shut off valve and was able to get hot air above and below the valve. i am beginning to think i should remove the drywall to keep the main line exposed from the floor to ceiling, but of course it won't look very good. the main water line is only about an inch away from the exterior wall which does not get any sun exposure in winter. there's insulation between the exterior wall and the water line  but obviously isn't preventing freezing. never had this problem when mainline was not behind drywall.

Answer
Hey Susan,
Yep, I am afraid that by closing the main line in, you have cut off heat to keep it from freezing.  A solution that comes to mind is to cut out the sheetrock like you did for the valve and run a heat tape around the main line, but you need to have access and a outlet to plug this tape into.  This tape as a built in thermostat that lays up against the pipe and will only heat up when the temp reaches freezing temps.  But you need to be able to keep a check on it so you will need to make a door and space may be against you on installation, this may require 12".

Check this sites out:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-30-ft-Automatic-Electric-Heat-Cable-Kit-HC

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Heat-AHB-013-Weather-Heating/dp/B002YFAHAW/ref=sr_1_5

Just make sure to read the reviews on proper installation, it may be too close to the wall, it may require 12" so this may not work.  

The only other thing I can suggest is to insulate it even more with insulation as much as you can but if possible, and use a vented panel cover over it instead of a solid panel to allow for more heat to get too it!

I hope this helps and good luck!
Carolyn

Plumbing in the Home

Carolyn