Plumbing in the Home/my shower

Question
water just stopped coming out of my show head . it was working fine in the morning and that night it wasn't working at all. It is a 3 knob set up and when I turned the shower knob it stops the water coming out of the faucet but nothing comes out of the shower head. I removed the shower head and cleaned and also tried it with the shower head off with just the arm sticking out and still no water.

Answer
To repair the problem you will need to turn the house water supply off and bleed off the pressure at any faucet both hot and cold. You will need to remove the center stem and possibly you will be able to see what is causing the problem; there are several things that could have happened but most likely the washer and screw have backed off the end to the diverter stem and is plugging the outlet to the riser to the shower head. Possibly you can see the obstruction and using a pick or needle-nose pliers or even make a tool with wire to remove the restriction. BUT you may ultimately have to back pressure (or use a flexible wire) from the shower head arm (head removed) and possibly you may have to use air pressure to clear whatever foreign material has entered the shower riser.
If it has been several years since maintenance on the valve you certainly should consider replacing all the parts in all three stems---also inspecting the seats and replacing them if they are not really smooth.
If you have no clue to what I am suggesting or if you do not know how to remove the stems (usually requires shower valve socket AND neutral spacing of the stems) then I think it is time to call a plumber.

Plumbing in the Home

Cortez (cort) Cate