Plumbing in the Home/tub won't hold water

I have an old cast iron tub with original fixtures from 1965. The bathtub won't fill, so I removed the overflow plate. The tub has a trip lever drain and have been desperately trying to remove the lift linkage from the opening beneath the overflow plate. Nothing is budging. I carefully poured some natural enzyme drain cleaner followed by lots of hot water thinking maybe a bunch of hair and gunk is making it hard to remove. Is there a trick to getting the lift lingage/plunger out? It doesn't seem like the size of the hole will allow that metal rod to come through. Can I do any damage by continuing to aggressively work it loose and yank at it?

tub waste
tub waste  
Hello Catherine,
The lift rods and bucket (the part that stops the water) are designed to be lifted out through the overflow opening. Sometimes they just get stuck, usually from corrosion and hard water scale. My own tub is like that right now. LOL

If you can get access to the drain piping under the house, you might need to actually take the joints apart (remove the P-trap from the drain tailpiece) to free up the bucket or pull it out through the bottom.

Being overly aggressive might free it up but it might also cause a leak. Might just be time to replace the whole trip waste assembly. There are several styles and prices as well as materials. There are all brass to all plastic types. The plastic ones are less prone to corrosion issues.
good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal