Plumbing in the Home/Water temp in shower

My shower has separate hot and cold knobs.

When taking a shower if you barely crack the cold water on
the shower becomes way too cold. So we are stuck either taking very hot or very cold showers.

I recently replaced the valve you use to turn the water on and off due to they were leaking. Could I have done something wrong  ?

Any thoughts on what could be going on  ?

Hello Frank,
I've been told that cold showers are good for you! LOL  

I have found that it is pretty hard these days to get the "real deal" replacement stems and seats from the actual manufacturers unless you order directly from them.  Most are supplied by other makers and sometimes don't work properly or are very cheaply made and don't last very long.  I just went through this with some old Price Pfister stems for my own bathroom faucet.  the nice thing about Price Pfister is that thy have a lifetime guarantee and they sent me the new stems for free.

Did you also replace the valve seats? The seats are small brass rings in the body of the valve that the faucet washers seal against. They are removable using a special tool. (The tools are cheap and easily available.) They erode away and may act strangely or not at all.

The other issue is the condition of the piping in the house. Older galvanized piping tends to get clogged up with corrosion and hard water scale which drastically reduces the flow rate. (Not the pressure) This is usually manifested on the hot side first.  If the hot water flow is way down, the cold will overpower it resulting in the loss f you ability to control the temperature as you wish.

Another issue is incorrect installation of the valve stems or the wrong stems being installed.

These things can be difficult to diagnose remotely.

Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal