Plumbing in the Home/feet under full apron cast iron tub

USA; Virginia

I pulled and relocated a full apron 5 ft alcove cast iron tub.
It is a 1951 American Standard, original to the house.

I have set the tub with a ledger board along the 5 foot wall. In the new installation, the cast iron basin is a little over and inch off the floor deck at the low end and has no feet. There are some tabs on the sides at the middle that are about 1 1/2" off the deck and "feet" at the back about 3/4" above the floor deck.

There was no indication under the original installation that the "feet" under the basin were supported with shims. I did not look specifically for marks on the floor boards. I assumed the tub was fully supported by the ledger along the 5 foot wall. There is a possibility the "feet" at the back end of the tub were on the 1x8 subfloor because the front drain was not over any subfloor and could have been actually below the level of the floor bringing the back "feet" into contact.

Looking at installation instructions on new cast iron tubs, that are not a match for what I have ... there is no match for what I have, I see that the space between the little feet on the bottom and the floor is supposed to be shimmed and they do not call for a ledger board at all.

All that said, are these side tabs and "feet" supposed to have something fitting under them?
How would these points be shimmed in a retrofit where the apron blocks all access?

Thank you

I am not sure. If it were me I would contact American Standard. Send then a picture and they will likely be more than happy to point you in the right direction.
You cannot have to much support. The feet certainly have to rest on something of substantial strength but it also must be aesthetically pleasing if it is visible. Evaluate and calculate the weight and proceed accordingly.

Plumbing in the Home

Cortez (cort) Cate

PLEASE read this entire introduction. I have been doing this for a long time and I have come to the conclusion that if you are not willing to take the time to write a detailed question then don't expect a detailed solution! I am getting far to many questions that do not give enough detail to warrant a good solution. I realize it is a little difficult to formulate a good question but if you want a good answer you have to give me good this entire introduction please....remember this website is world wide I have no clue where you live if you don't tell give more detail on the fixture you are having problems with...a one piece eljer 3.5 gallon flush will be totally different than a one-gallon flush toto.....details are important. I can answer most questions related to residential and commercial plumbing for many buildings. I have sufficient knowledge of the UPC and UMC. I will speculate for you if necessary. In those cases I will try to give you some guidance and you should use that to refine the question further and we, together, can seek the answer via a follow up. Plumbing codes and practices vary around the world--If you don't tell me where you live the answer I give may not fit your locality. I am giving my time to you as a way of fulfilling my perceived obligation to share. I am here to try to help you find a solution to your problem. REMEMBER, If you want a good answer you need to ask a detailed question and include where you live, type of pipes, type of building, water pressure if it is a water problem, type of heater, age of appliance & building all these and many more are variables that have an effect on various situations. Detailed information will help produce a better answer.

Since 1972 a California licensed B-1 General Building Contractor, C-36 Plumbing and C-16 Fire Sprinkler Contractor; also installing and servicing Heating, Air Conditioning and Sheet Metal operating as C and C Building and Plumbing, California State License 279516. In 1995 I downsized the company to become semi-retired. Still I remain active in the construction industry. As head of a company I placed personnel and job safety as the number one objective followed closely by training and continuing education. Always seeking to stay informed of leading edge technology in the industry. Also I have spent several years as an Apprenticeship Instructor in the Pipe Trades Unions. Additionally I am a certified OSHA instructor.

United Association of Plumbers and Steamfitters Instruction Training, Ann Arbor, MI Bakersfield College, Bakersfield CA Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo, CA Foothill College, Los Altos, CA California Licensed Contractor from 1971