Plumbing in the Home/Frost free hose bib

Just tried to hook up hose to outside "frost free" hose bib and cannot get any water out of it.  Last summer we noticed that we had to push in as we turned the handle in order to get it to turn on and off.  Now, the handle moves the same way, but the water never comes out. I suspect the washer may be stuck, thereby blocking the water flow.  Is there any way to get it loose without having to remove the entire hose bib assembly?

Hello JC,
The nature and construction of a Frost free hose bibb is such that servicing them, like replacing a washer is next to impossible. The actual washer and seat are located 8-12 inches back from the actual handle. There really is no way to replace a washer if it is actually stuck to the seat.

In some instances these closets actually have an interior shutoff valve. You might check if there is one and if it is shut off.

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal