Plumbing in the Home/Caulk for Shower

Question
QUESTION: I'm confused as to which caulk to use in my shower.  I need something that is mildew and mold resistant. There are many products out there, making various claims. I would appreciate your recommendation.

ANSWER: Hey Steven,
This is one of my favorite sites and it does a really good job explaining caulks, I hope it answers all your questions:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infcau.html

*Latex Caulk*
Is easier to apply than silicone caulk.
Can be painted.
Cleans up easily with soap and water.
Has less of an odor than silicone caulk.
Is easy to remove when it needs to be replaced
Weakens and loses flexibility in direct sunlight and temperature extremes
Does not last as long as silicone caulk (under most circumstances
Can be applied on porous or non-porous surfaces
Better suited for gaps that stay constant.

*Silicone Caulk*
Is more difficult than latex caulk to apply. Needs meticulous surface preparation.
Cannot be painted.
Requires mineral spirits for cleanup.
Has more of an odor than latex caulk.
Is more difficult to remove when it needs to be replaced.
Is more flexible and durable than latex caulk. Holds up well in direct sunlight and      temperature extremes.
Lasts longer than latex caulk (under most circumstances).
Works best on non-porous surfaces.
Works well in gaps that expand and contract.

The classic method for applying caulk is with a gun, into which you place tubes of caulk. Some caulk is also available in squeeze tubes or in aerosol cans with narrow tips - both of which eliminate the need for a caulking gun. The squeeze tubes work well for small jobs, but for large areas it is easier to draw a good caulk bead with a gun. The narrow-tipped aerosol cans are particularly helpful for caulking in tight areas.

I hope something here helps and good luck!
~Carolyn~

QUESTION: Thank you for the information.

My problem is that I'd like to find the best caulk to resist mold and mildew.  There are a number of products (such as Lexel All Purpose Sealent; Polyseamseal Tub and Tile Adhesive Caulk; or mildew resistant etc.) and I don't know how to choose.

Answer
Hey Steve,
I have never used this one but it offers an amazing warranty but a lot of contractors use Dow Corning 786 Mildew Resistant Sealant http://www.sealantengineering.com/catalog/item/7123679/7261657.htm

So between these two I would go with the 7 year replacement that Sashco offers.  I hope this helps and good luck!
Carolyn

Features
•7-year replacement warranty, including labor costs
•Maintains a watertight seal
•Scrubbable – won’t get damaged by abrasive cleaners, bleaches and other common household cleaners
•Elastomeric with powerful adhesion – Won’t pull away or crack
•Stretches and stays flexible
•Low VOC
•Paintable
•Water clean-up

*Cured sealant is mildew resistant. 7 year guarantee: MildewFree Sealant* is guaranteed for 7 years to prevent mildew growth on the sealant. If mildew growth occurs on the sealant (not on soap film)**, within 7 years of purchase, Sashco will replace the product and provide a contractor for reinstallation. Proof of purchase is required. Warranty applies to single family residential use only. No other warranties expressed or implied.

**Note: clean regularly to prevent soap film build up and mildew growth on soap film.

http://www.sashco.com/products/mildewfree/  

Plumbing in the Home

Carolyn