Plumbing in the Home/Sewage back up

We have been having a back up in our washtub sink. Sewage was coming into the tub. A plummer snaked the line that leads to the main sewer drain. He said we have a cracked pipe leading to the main drain. We have since had two plummer's come out to give estimates. One said we need to replace the curb traps and the laterals. The other one said it sounds like we just need to replace the curb traps. How do we know if the laterals need to be replaced? There is a big difference in the cost. I don't want to pay for the laterals if I don't need them replaced.

Hello Annette,
The only way to really tell for sure is to have a camera run down the line so that its actual condition can be seen and not just assumed. Many plumbers and rooter companies have sewer cameras that they can run down the line and take a video of it's condition.

PS - we don't use "curb traps" here so I'm not sure about those.

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal