Plumbing in the Home/Sewage back up

Question
We have been having a back up in our washtub sink. Sewage was coming into the tub. A plummer snaked the line that leads to the main sewer drain. He said we have a cracked pipe leading to the main drain. We have since had two plummer's come out to give estimates. One said we need to replace the curb traps and the laterals. The other one said it sounds like we just need to replace the curb traps. How do we know if the laterals need to be replaced? There is a big difference in the cost. I don't want to pay for the laterals if I don't need them replaced.

Answer
Hello Annette,
The only way to really tell for sure is to have a camera run down the line so that its actual condition can be seen and not just assumed. Many plumbers and rooter companies have sewer cameras that they can run down the line and take a video of it's condition.
Best,
Dana

PS - we don't use "curb traps" here so I'm not sure about those.

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick