Plumbing in the Home/wax rings

About two years ago, I bought two new Kohler toilets. The associate told me that I did not need the wax rings. The toilets appear to work fine but since they are low water and upstairs, they I worry about this. Do I need the wax rings? What are they used for?

Hello Ali,
I've never heard of that. The wax ring seals the bottom of the toilet to the closet ring to prevent leaks and sewer gas from coming back into the house. I have not installed a new toilet in a while, maybe something is new?  I would contact Kohler directly ask ask them.

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal