Plumbing in the Home/Broken water line

I am renovating a house in Buffalo NY.  The house is on city water and was built in 1915. The previous owner ripped out all of the copper all the way into the foundation. I had a plumber come and attach some new copper to the old piece in the wall. I now have a meter attached to a ball valve attached to a hose so I can have water while working. Small amounts of Sediment have been coming out of the hose when I fill buckets with water. Does this mean that my main water line from the street is broken?  Also, if this is the case, should I wait to plumb the house until after this is fixed? Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello Simon,
Since the incoming water line is always under pressure, it is unlikely that water is getting dirty from soil getting into the pipe.  It is possible that the existing line is actually still older galvanized steel and only has copper stubbed through the foundation wall. In that case, the old pipe itself can be deteriorating and what you are seeing is rust from the old pipe. The only way to find out if that is the case is to check at the street end or dig up the pipe outside the foundation.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal