Plumbing in the Home/Grease like substance discharged from Bath faucet

Question
Once in a while, very greasy beige substance is spit from bath fauet in the clear hot water when I am filling the tub. First a small amount of the grease spit stuck on the bath tub surface and I don't know where it came from. I noticed one day it was spit from the fauet when the hot water was running.

It doesn't happen all the time so I can't really call a plumber to find out. I don't even know if it's harmful. Is or water heater? This somerhing we should be worried about? Our water heater is not too old, don't know how old but it's turned off automatically somehow. it ia gas water heater.

Answer
Hello Kayo,
This sounds suspiciously like high sulfate levels in the water. A combination of high sulfate in the water and somewhat lower water temperatures promotes the growth of sulfate reducing bacteria which create the slimy residue on the inside of the water heater and the pipes. You are likely only to see it at the bathtub because of the higher water flow from that fixture.

The next step would be to have a water sample tested to confirm this. If that is the case, there are filtration systems that can mitigate the high sulfur content that can be added to the mainline coming into the house.
Best, Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick