Plumbing in the Home/Septic Tank

Question
Hello, I am the first time owner of a septic tank and live in the Atlanta, GA area. The septic tank is 1000 gallons with two chambers and buried about 4ft underground. It is concrete and in good shape. I had it pumped and inspected, no problems were found. When I first moved into this home 2years ago there were no problems. I also did not know anything about septic tanks. Well…For the past 4-5 months the liquid in the tank has not been going out. The drain field looks to be fine, no saturated areas, looks just like the rest of my property. I dug up both sides of the tank. The inlet looks fine, waste goes in fine. When looking into the outlet side tank you can see the liquid above the outlet pipe and baffle. I am planning on getting a filter to put in place of the baffle on the outlet pipe to keep solids from entering the drain field. I suspect solids (waste and other junk that got flushed) made its way into the pipe and stopped it up. However, when we have heavy rain, the rainwater makes its way into the tank. My question is how can the pipe be clogged not allowing water out if rain water is being caught in the system and flowing into the tank? Can there be a problem with the d-box or somewhere else I am not aware of? If I dig up the d-box how big should I expect it to be? What can I do to attempt to fix this issue without paying $$$$? I am a big dyi, please help! I have been put on a crash course of everything septic tank in the past 4-5 months!

Answer
Even though I'm not in the Septic Tank business, I do understand them and how they work.

I think you will find that your tank is working fine.  The outlet generally has an elbow pointing down and it is always under the water.  This keeps floaties from getting into the drain fields. The water can go up the ell and out into the fields.  If your water weren't going out, your house would be all backed with sewage.  So if this is not the case, and the toilets are flushing good;  you should be in good shape.

Rain water will saturate the ground around your house and the system is still able to work because your plumbing is higher than the tank and fields which causes a little down pressure forcing the water out.

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor