Plumbing in the Home/Icemake plumbing

Hello. I have a refrigerator that has an ince maker, and water dispenser. I purchased an ice make installation kit with plastic line, compression fittings, and a sattle valve. The first kit I had, the plastic hose slid right off of the brass sleve. I returned it for another, and fhe the 2nd one was much tighter, but still slid out with a slight bit of force.

I assumed that maybe the pressure just wasn't enough to blow the line off, and I hooked it up. After turning the main water back on, I noticed a leak where the plastic went into the brass fitting on the refigerator line, so I shut the main water off. Moments later, the hose blew out of the brass fitting. There was also a small leak in the same spot at the sattle valve end. What am I doing wrong here?

One thing I've noticed is neither kit came with a ferrule. I've always know compression fitting to have these. There isn't a mention of it on the kit, so it's not like it's missing. The brass sleve goes into a brass fitting, and the fitting it connected to the frig. Then the line is pushed into it and tightened. I attached a photo of the kit.

Hi Darryl,
Yes, these can be problematical. Are you inserting the little sleeve into the end of the plastic tubing. It is supposed to reenforce the tube so the ferrule can be snugged down by the compression nut and not crush the tubing too much.  Always use two wrenches when tightening. One for the nut and one to hold counter force pressure on the valve or fitting.  You might also try a plastic ferrule in place of the brass.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal