Plumbing in the Home/Leaking Gasket



Our American Standard toilet has been running, so I took off the tank lid and it looks like a gasket inside is disintegrating. I took a picture of it, and I was wondering if you could tell me if it is called a flush valve seal, or something else. It is the black seal under the red flapper:

Thank You

You are correct. It is a flush valve seal. It is actually a double seal the larger ,spongier one  seals the tank to the bowl on the outside and the flat or slightly beveled shaped one seals the flush valve to the tank on the inside. Old timers call them spud gaskets as well. (The spud gasket is actually the outside  tank to bowl gasket only but commonly referred to as the spud.)  You can get a replacement at most plumbing supply houses or online at American Standard.


Plumbing in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jay Nicholas


Plumbing & Heating (warm air, hot water & steam heat)


40 years in the business, 40 years as a lic. master plumber in NY State. Retired

Graduated Magna cum laude at the School of Hard Knocks

Past/Present Clients
Commercial, residential and light industrial. You name it ...I have probably worked on it

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]