Plumbing in the Home/Plumber's grease

Question
Hello: Just a quick question.How come plumbers on this website and others rarely if ever mention plumber's grease? I have had a devil of a problem with a hot water compression type tap (which has an O ring as the seal to keep water from flowing around the body of the fitting) which kept leaking water around the fitting when I opened the tap.I finally found a recommendation online to apply a bit of plumber's grease to the fitting.As a result,water no longer leaks around the fitting,and I did the repair over a month ago. Thanks.

Answer
Hi Michael,
To be honest, plumbers grease or heatproof grease as we old timers call it, has always been used primarily for stem lubrication  and as an anti-seize solution rather than leak repair. Greasing up O-rings is always a good idea but should not be necessary. I'm glad it worked for you but as a recommended fix for most leak problems such as yours, it is quite-a-ways down the list for me to suggest to those seeking advise and help. Again , I am happy it worked out for you.  

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas