Plumbing in the Home/Replacing bathtub with stand shower

Hello, we are looking to replace the bathtub in our small bathroom with the stand shower. How long does it normally take? What's the average cost? Can we stay at home while this type of work is being done? Also we are having a hard time getting the maximum cost, the contractors are trying to leave it open-ended based on what they find after they start replacing the bathtub. Is there anything we can do about it? Thanks!

Hello. The reason you can't get a price nailed down is because it would be too high and cause you to think the contractor is a crook. There are too many unknowns when doing this type of renovation so the price would have to be high enough to cover any unforeseen issues. Every job is different. The only question I can safely answer is  yes toucan stay while its being done. Average price would fall somewhere between 3500 to 4500 depending on where you live. Figure another 25% contingency money.
I wish I could pin it down better but some guys think they are worth way more than they really are and others are just plain greedy

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas

Plumbing & Heating (warm air, hot water & steam heat)

40 years in the business, 35 years as a lic. master plumber in NY State. Retired

Graduated Magna cum laude at the School of Hard Knocks

Commercial, residential and light industrial. You name it ...I have probably worked on it