Plumbing in the Home/sand in the filter

Hi Bob. I live in Western CT in a house we built in 1966. we have an artesian well, 60' deep, with a 1 horsepower jet pump. I use a Culligan 10" filter which I change every 2-3 months. Over the last year (approx) the filter is LOADED with sand. Can you give an educated guess as to what is causing this? and how I can prevent it? Thanks!

Even though I hate those 10" filters, I guess it did let you know that you have a well problem.  Where the sand is coming from is anybody's guess, but it's certainly not a good thing.  Sand can eat your pumps impeller and diffuser over time.  If it gets bad enough, it can also plug things up in your plumbing.  If it's real bad, it can fill the well and cut off the water flow in some cases.  Since the well is probably the original from 1966, my guess would be holes in the casing.  Or possibly if it's a screened well, the screen could be rotting away.  

My advice is to not spend good money after bad trying to repair that well because of it's age and just bite the bullet and drill a new one.  That would more than likely be your least expensive way out.

Sorry to be the guy who had to tell you that.

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor

I am a Water Well Driller and Water Pump technician. I own a business in Riverview, Fl. We repair motors and pumps in shop and in the field. We repair and replace submersible and jet pumps, galvanized and bladder tanks, and their controls. Water filtration is another one of our specialties.

I started drilling and repairing wells and pumps with my dad in 1958 at the age of 13 years. I worked with him on weekends and in the summer when not in school. After graduating high school, I worked for my Dad until going into the Army in 1968. I spent three years in the Army then went back into the Well Drilling/Repair field.

Many Forums including my own.

High school and a few courses after getting out of the Army. They were offered on the GI Bill.