Plumbing in the Home/Well Problems

Question
I have a well tank in my basement and the pump started to go on for 5 sec then off, then on for 5 sec and off throughout the entire filling.  I'm not sure with having a bladder tank if it is the tank that is the problem or the pump.  I'm hoping from those symptoms that it points to one or the other.  The dial reads 30 when off and shoots to 60 when it turns on.  It is a Well X Trol tank about 4 feet tall & about 2 ft in diameter

Answer
I'll bet it's a WX-203 which is an 80 gallon equivalent.  They are tall and skinny.  Regardless what one it is; it's nearly waterlogged which means that most of the air pre charge has leaked out.  This allows the bladder to fill up with more water than it was designed to hold which makes the pump short cycle.  The WX-203 will hold about 9 gallons when properly aired up depending on your pressure switch settings.  This means that when the pump turns off, you will have to use roughly 9 gallons before the pump will come on again.  Then once it puts the 9 gallons back, the pump will again turn off.

You can turn off the pump, open a faucet until the water stops flowing, then check the air pressure in the tank with a tire gauge.  It should have air pressure of two pounds less than the pressure where your pump turns on.  So with a 30/50 pressure switch, you should have 28 lbs of air in the tank.  If not, air it up and see if it holds.

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor