Plumbing in the Home/Leaking Shower Arm

Question
I have had a slow leak coming from my showerhead that has over time become more of a constant leak.  I removed the showerhead and realized that the leak was the same coming right from the shower arm.  What do you think is wrong and how can I fix it?  I've read everything from replacing the shower control knob/system to replacing the valve that connects the shower to water supply.  Please let me know what you think and if you need any other info to appropriately answer.

Answer
Hello Andrew,
There are several types of shower systems. Is this a shower only or a shower over a tub?  In either case the shower diverter valve is leaking.  This can be as simple as replacing the washer under the stem in the center valve or possibly the washer and seat. Maybe the entire stem assembly.

Finding the parts to do these repairs requires that you know the brand and model of the valve or actually take the stem out and take it into a plumbing supply place and match it up. You will need to shut off all the water to the house to do this.  It must remain off until the repairs are completed.  This is about a one hour job for an experienced person. For the inexperienced, lots can go wrong and you can end up without water for a period of time longer than you expect.

Removing the stems and or the seat requires special tools that you likely do not have. the tools are not very expensive but they are single purpose tools that are not much use for anything else other than changing stems and seats. Not something the average homeowner does frequently.

This might be time to just call in the plumber or a good handyman and have it fixed properly the first time.
Best,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick