Plumbing in the Home/smelly drain

I have a double sink in my kitchen, no garbage disposal however, my drain stinks all the time. I have tried baking soda with vinegar, but no improvement. I even tried bleach, smelled better for short duration. The house is on a slab and is 53 years old. Any ideas on what is causing smell and how to get rid of it?

Hello John,
As long as there is a p-trap you should not be getting any sewer gas back up the line. The piping under most kitchen sinks is not that hard to take apart since they are slip joints. I would pull it out and clean or replace it to see if that helps. Don't forget, the trap has water in it so have a pan to catch it when you take stuff apart.

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal