Plumbing in the Home/smelly drain

Question
I have a double sink in my kitchen, no garbage disposal however, my drain stinks all the time. I have tried baking soda with vinegar, but no improvement. I even tried bleach, smelled better for short duration. The house is on a slab and is 53 years old. Any ideas on what is causing smell and how to get rid of it?

Answer
Hello John,
As long as there is a p-trap you should not be getting any sewer gas back up the line. The piping under most kitchen sinks is not that hard to take apart since they are slip joints. I would pull it out and clean or replace it to see if that helps. Don't forget, the trap has water in it so have a pan to catch it when you take stuff apart.
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick