Plumbing in the Home/Draining a water heater

Water Heater
Water Heater  

I'm planning on draining my electric water heater for the first time. I know there are lots of youtube videos out there that show you how. However, I want to double check before I do this. My question is whether or not I need to worry about the pressure tank?  I have attached an image of my water heater. The way I understand is that I should turn off the power to the water heater and wait couple hours for the water to cool. Turn the valves off and than attach a garden hose on the bottom. Is there anything else I need to do? thanks

Hey Jackie,
I so apologize for not getting back with you sooner but heck, sometimes my real job and my non profit just takes everything I have.  But I have come up for air and if you have not already completed this task, I will do my best to walk you thru it, OK!

First, do turn the breaker to the hot water heater off.  Then hook up you water hose to the bottom of your water heater and run the hose out side and down hill as best you can so you get the best siphon going.  Have some towels on hand due to the fact that yes, you will drip water so be prepared.  I have never let mine cool down but do pay attention as to where the water is going so not to boil any living things.  I also try and look at that is coming out of it to determine if there is signs of rust.  I drain it until it is running clear and cool.  Then I remove the hose and tighten the valve good and run a hot water faucet for a short time as to get the water level but up inside the tank, you do not want to turn the power back on until it is or you can damage the heating elements inside.  So give it 30 or so minutes to make sure before engaging the breaker back on, OK!
On this video you will notice they have a valve at the top of their tank, I did not have one so either way you are covered.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Plumbing in the Home

I have worked in Electrical Engineering for 30 years in power distribution and am now a Senior Electrical & Instrumentation Designer, but I am a handy homeowner more than anything else and have a lot of skills when it comes to home repairs. Bathroom remodeling, flooring, painting, reconditioning old wood items, plumbing, car repairs and troubleshooting most problems. I think of myself more of a teacher than someone that is going to tell you exactly what you have to do, but I will share as much info as I have to help get your problem fixed, so if you are not interested in learning then don't ask me a question or rate me if you don't like my answers. To me, it is all about the journey so lets share the trail for a short ride and see where it takes us! I also want to give thanks to both my Mom, who has passed and my Dad, who raised us with the "Can Do" attitude and instowed such confidence in not only my life but everyone that ever came in contact with them. You can do anything that you set our minds too if only you can break it down into pieces and just tackle one piece at a time, for the rest will fall into place.

My greatest accomplishment was finishing my first bathroom upgrades in my first home which helped me to sell my home is less than 3 days by myself with a For Sale By Owner sign and no more. Plus I got $10,000 more for it in just 4 years of owning it, now that is great equity.

I am CEO and founder of Spirit Heart Therapeutic Riding Center, inc a 501c3 Non Profit for Rescued Horses and At Risk Kids. It is because of my own Mother intervention, who stepped up and shared her own love of horses with me as an at risk child myself that she planted this seed. So this program was created and is her Legacy that I have been so guided to share with those in need. We teach natural horsemanship to both horse and child and I get to watch some pretty amazing things happen. The kids learn to overcome fears, gain confidence, self-esteem and leadership skills where the horses have a chance at a life where they are trained, loved and respected and become a part of something that saves a child looking for a place to belong. If you support my Dream in bringing this program to life then please Donate to the cause and know that you are touching so many lives by doing so. God Bless You!

Nursing School, 1 1/2 years of a 2 year RN program, 1976 US Army, Intelligence School, Image Interpreter, 1977 Thomas Nelson Community College, Mechanical Drafting, 1980 Newport News Shipbuilding, Designer Training Program, 1981 School Of Hard Knocks

Honorable Discharge from US ARMY, Certificate of Achievement for Graduating with Honor's from Military Intelligence School, Ft Huachuca AZ. Award from Planning Research Corporation for a Job Well Done, NASA/Langley. Hand Selected to be an Internal Auditor for an ISO 9000 Certification Program for one of my longest employers, Lockwood Greene, ATL, GA. Multiple Letters of Appreciation.