Plumbing in the Home/40 vs 55

hi..i have a 40 gallon hot water heater, and will soon get a new one; its been around for a long time. i am interested in getting something bigger, such as a 55 gallon heater. now..if i go from a 40 gallon to a 55, will the 55 gallon one be too  big to fit where the 40 gallon one is?  would that be a problem for the plumber who installs the 55 gallon one? thanks!!

I'm not a plumber, but there are several different shapes, sizes and brands of water heaters.  If your going to have a plumber do the job, have him measure to see if the larger one will fit.  Or he should know the measurements of the ones he generally installs and should be able to tell you on the spot if they will fit or not.

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor

I am a Water Well Driller and Water Pump technician. I own a business in Riverview, Fl. We repair motors and pumps in shop and in the field. We repair and replace submersible and jet pumps, galvanized and bladder tanks, and their controls. Water filtration is another one of our specialties.

I started drilling and repairing wells and pumps with my dad in 1958 at the age of 13 years. I worked with him on weekends and in the summer when not in school. After graduating high school, I worked for my Dad until going into the Army in 1968. I spent three years in the Army then went back into the Well Drilling/Repair field.

Many Forums including my own.

High school and a few courses after getting out of the Army. They were offered on the GI Bill.