Plumbing in the Home/Water meter wrong or water leak

"WE have a problem with the water metering to our house. The village says that we used 55000 in the last 2 weeks. There are no leaks we can find and the sump pump is not running constantly. How can we check the main line outside coming from the street?"

Alan, your water meter will only register water on the house side of the meter. if your meter is in the house then a leak outside wouldn't show up as usage. 99% of the time the toilet is the culprit. Drop some food coloring into the tank and see if the bowl water changes color. If the water changes the flapper or ball needs to be changed in the tank. In all my experience, when meters go bad , it is always in the users favor. That is to say the gallonage used is much less that what you actually used. You water supplier can use a listening devise to check for under ground leaks if you have a pit type meter that is out in the yard or by the curb.  

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas

Plumbing & Heating (warm air, hot water & steam heat)

40 years in the business, 35 years as a lic. master plumber in NY State. Retired

Graduated Magna cum laude at the School of Hard Knocks

Commercial, residential and light industrial. You name it ...I have probably worked on it