Plumbing in the Home/water pipe noise.

Question
Hi Carolyn.

I have noticed of late, when turning off a faucet, that I have a noise in the pipe system in the house. Like a knock in the pipes. We have been in the house about 8 years, and it is only lately that this is happening.

The only thing that I can think of is I flushed the hot water tank awhile ago, and I wonder if I disturbed the air cushion in the piping that eliminations water hammering.  We have a 60 psi water pressure at the house.

I have done plumbing work on the system many times, but never had any problem like this one. And as I mentioned the only thing I've done, since this started was drain flushed the water heater.

I shut the water supply to the tank, then opened the drain for a few minutes. Shut off the drain, and reopened the water supply to the tank.

Do you see a problem there?  Could shutting the water supply off, and then opening the drain, have drawn hot water back down the supply causing an air pocket, which when closing the drain, and turning the cold water supply back on, might cause an air pocket???

Course none of the faucets in the system were open, so I guess air wouldn't be able to enter the system to make an air chamber in the line, now would it?

Any thing you can add?

Thanks
Mr Burns

Answer
Hey Mr. Burns,
Do you by chance have a water regulator in your home, if so adjust it back some?  But sounds like you are on target with draining the entire water lines in a effort to get the air cushion back in the end of your lines, I would try that but you may not get the fix you need, strapping down any loose lines may help also.  I found this video where this guy also ran into a challenge with his home and he takes you thru everything he did in the video and finally had to add the water regulator in and pretty much ended his hammer issue. So I hope this helps and good luck!
Carolyn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0FPy1JCBXw&ebc=ANyPxKoK2Ktswy0bjexndeblGfC223yewLa-v8LEVy5Ye46V-ksITIewXkyNqPOUoAHEbJUR8u-y_OL2qTRhk-qpPve4AX-viw&nohtml5=False

Plumbing in the Home

Carolyn