Plumbing in the Home/Refrigerator water supply line (icemaker)

Question
Hi Carolyn! Thanks for being here.  We're having a refrigerator installed with a new water supply line.  I see on the internet that many people have used a saddle valve to hook in their refrigerator water supply line.  Instead, I called a plumber to cut in the water supply pipe and install the 1/4 tubing after a shut off valve that he will install.  Our house is vacant alot.  Now, I'm rethinking my approach: if the tubing springs a leak, maybe a saddle valve is the better way to go because it has a lower pressure coming into the line? Any thoughts on this?  Thanks again.

Answer
Hey Peter,
I just installed a new line on my frig that leaked and did major floor damage so I also installed a shut off in my line that I can totally stop the water if I ever need to but also after doing more research wished I had used copper tubing due to taste of the ice and water, so you will benefit from my mistake on this one. As for the saddle valve I did it too and it was really easy, but as long as it doesn't leak I am ok with, but after these videos I may want to go with an actual valve if it does ever leak.  I hope this info makes your decision easier and good luck!
Carolyn

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=best+connection+for+ice+machine+water+line&v

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=best+connection+for+ice+machine+water+line&&

Plumbing in the Home

Carolyn