Podiatry/Ankle sprain

Two months ago I had my ankle sprained playing football.I had x-rays and nothing was broken.
I went to the hospital and they put splint at my ankle, up to the knee, and told me to have my leg at immobility for one week.After these first seven days they took out the splint and tied up the ankle again, but I should not put my foot down on the floor for another seven days.
When I put everything out my ankle was still swollen - the swolling is at the front side of the ankle.
After two months my ankle is still swollen and although I have no problem walking, with no pain at all, I can not move my ankle to the inside of the foot.
Any suggestions what I can do now or what I shouldn't do from the beggining??
Thank you.

It is not uncommon for you to still have swelling 2 months post injury.  You could potentially have more swelling on the outside of the ankle joint permanently compared to the other one.  With sprains the soft tissue such as the small veins and lymphatics can be damaged as well causing long term swelling to the area.  Using an ace wrap or ankle brace can help control the swelling.  This may be what is limiting your ability to move the ankle as well.  Also keeping it immobilized for 2 weeks after the injury can cause stiffness to the ankle joint making it difficult to move after the injury heals.  Most of the time, you try to walk a person with an ankle sprain as soon as possible in an ankle splint or walking boot to prevent stiffening of the ankle joint.  At this point I would use an ace wrap to control the swelling and definitely go to physical therapy.  They can do great exercises for ankle sprains to help regain that mobility and reduce swelling.

Dr. Leslie Johnston, DPM

Tampa, FL
Advanced Podiatry

Advanced Podiatry Facebook Page

Leslie Johnston

any podiatry related question. bunions, hammertoes, arthritis in foot and ankle, lumps and bumps, foot pain, ankle pain, neuromas, heel pain, plantar fasciitis, diabetic foot care, ulcers, neuropathy, charcot, ankle replacements, trauma, sports medicine, Achilles injuries, ankle sprains ect.

Currently working as an Associate for Advanced Podiatry in Tampa, FL. Finished 3 year surgical residency with additional certification in rearfoot and ankle reconstruction. Worked in wound care clinic at Veteran's Hospital using advance wound care techniques.

DPM degree earned from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine 2005-2009 completed 3 year podiatric medical and surgical residency training at James A. Haley VA 2009-2012. Board qualified status for American Board of Podiatric Surgeons in foot and rearfoot and ankle surgery 2012.

1st runner up in Resident case presentations at annual Science and Management Symposium 2012 Who's who among colleges and universities 2009