Podiatry/Bursitis on little toe

I apparently have a bursitis on the outside of my little toe.  I thought it was a corn but my doctor said she doesn't think so.  She did not offer any suggestions as to how to treat it.  It rubs on all my shoes - even though I have gone to wider shoes and I have an orthotics but it does not help with the rubbing.  I have tried pads and wrapping but it still hurt like crazy.  Any suggestions.

Bursa's usually form because of increased rubbing and pressure to an area.  Usually the big toe joint and the 5th toe joint are the most susceptible.  Since you've already tried wider shoes and padding, my next step would be a steroid injection.  The injection can calm down the inflammation (bursitis) and even shrink the bursa sometimes.  Most of my patients respond well to a steroid injection for bursitis if they have failed padding and wider shoes.  I would give it a try next.

Dr. Leslie Johnston, DPM

Tampa, FL
Advanced Podiatry  
Advanced Podiatry Facebook Page  

Leslie Johnston

any podiatry related question. bunions, hammertoes, arthritis in foot and ankle, lumps and bumps, foot pain, ankle pain, neuromas, heel pain, plantar fasciitis, diabetic foot care, ulcers, neuropathy, charcot, ankle replacements, trauma, sports medicine, Achilles injuries, ankle sprains ect.

Currently working as an Associate for Advanced Podiatry in Tampa, FL. Finished 3 year surgical residency with additional certification in rearfoot and ankle reconstruction. Worked in wound care clinic at Veteran's Hospital using advance wound care techniques.

DPM degree earned from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine 2005-2009 completed 3 year podiatric medical and surgical residency training at James A. Haley VA 2009-2012. Board qualified status for American Board of Podiatric Surgeons in foot and rearfoot and ankle surgery 2012.

1st runner up in Resident case presentations at annual Science and Management Symposium 2012 Who's who among colleges and universities 2009