Podiatry/Lump on top of foot

Left foot top
Left foot top  

Left foot top 2
Left foot top 2  
I've had this lump on the top of my foot for a few months now. I have no clue how it got there. It can go weeks at a time without causing any pain. Today I woke up and it was hurting pretty bad. Any idea what it is?

Jason, I would schedule an appointment with a podiatrist to have it looked at.  It could be a ganglionic cyst that needs to be aspirated or drained.  Sometimes they occur from previous trauma or repetitive friction in shoes.  Ganglionic cysts usually start small and get bigger with time.  Fluid acculumates in a sac around a joint or tendon that causes the cyst to become painful.  They can spontaneously burst but most often recur again.  Cysts present as masses that are soft and movable.  If the soft tissue bump is hard and irregular, then that's even more of a reason to see a podiatrist for further evaluation.

Dr. Leslie Johnston, DPM

Tampa, FL
Advanced Podiatry  
Advanced Podiatry Facebook Page  

Leslie Johnston

any podiatry related question. bunions, hammertoes, arthritis in foot and ankle, lumps and bumps, foot pain, ankle pain, neuromas, heel pain, plantar fasciitis, diabetic foot care, ulcers, neuropathy, charcot, ankle replacements, trauma, sports medicine, Achilles injuries, ankle sprains ect.

Currently working as an Associate for Advanced Podiatry in Tampa, FL. Finished 3 year surgical residency with additional certification in rearfoot and ankle reconstruction. Worked in wound care clinic at Veteran's Hospital using advance wound care techniques.

DPM degree earned from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine 2005-2009 completed 3 year podiatric medical and surgical residency training at James A. Haley VA 2009-2012. Board qualified status for American Board of Podiatric Surgeons in foot and rearfoot and ankle surgery 2012.

1st runner up in Resident case presentations at annual Science and Management Symposium 2012 Who's who among colleges and universities 2009