Podiatry/Calf Loosening Surgery

After a car accident in 2005 my right ankle was turned sideways 90 degrees with no major broken bones or torn ligaments and was snapped back in place within 24 hrs.  In 2006 I had ankle surgery that cleaned and smoothed the horizontal front - top of ankle leg bone joint (approximately located above where a shoe lace is tied) This increased my foot's range of motion from front to rear. In 2013 have lost some of the range due to arthritis build-up in the joint limiting movement. Most noticed when walking up stairs or on an incline have to pivoted my right foot outward. Arthoscopic surgery is pending to clean-up the joint to increase the foot range of motion. I am not in any pain. At the same time there has been discussion about loosening a tight(?) right leg calf muscle. I am an active 57 years old man, non-runner, not in pain.  Looking at three staples in my calf and two extra weeks on crutches plus PT. My question is:

What are the pro's, con's and non-surgical option(s)for the calf loosening surgery?   

My raised ankle is tight only in front not back by my heel or back of the leg.  I really do not want the calf muscle touched and can push myself with Physical Therapy and through pain. Please advise.  Thank you.

Dear Ward,

This Chicago Podiatrist, Elmhurst Podiatrist & West Loop Podiatrist says.......
For your calf loosening surgery.
Get a second opinion from a Board Certified Podiatrist who does calf surgery. Sometimes a heel lift can help. A tight calf may be stretched over a period of several months.
If you are unable to bend your whole foot past fifteen degrees with your knee locked-but can with your knee bent-maybe consider the surgery
Good Luck!
The podiatrists of are specialists in foot & ankle orthopedics & sports injuries.

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Dr George Tsatsos

All questions related to surgery, orthopedics and medicine of the foot and ankle-Adults and Children. Second Opinion specialist in Foot and Ankle problems including fractures and revision surgery. All questions relating. to foot and ankle problems in children Sports medicine of the foot and ankle Runner's and walking problems

PRIVATE PRACTICES: Ankle N Foot, 2220 W Belmont Ave., Chgo., IL 60618 since 1979 Ankle & Foot Center of Elmhurst, 401 N.York Rd., Elmhurst, IL, 60126, since 1989. Physicians Suites, Bethany Hospital, 3435 W. Van Buren, Chgo., Il, 60624, 1980-201. HOSPITAL & SURGICAL AFFILIATIONS: Bethany Hospital, 3435 W. Van Buren, Chgo., Il.- Podiatry staff since 1979-2010 Glen Oaks Medical Center, 701 Winthrop, Glen Dale Hts, IL – Podiatry staff since 1997. Elmhurst Medsurge, 401 N. York Rd., Elmhurst, IL, 60126, since 1999 Resurrection Health Care Surgery Center, 3101 N. Harlem Ave., Chicago, IL, since 1999 Chicago Neurologic & Orthopedic Hospital, 4501 N. Winchester Ave., Chicago, IL, 2008-2010

Member of the National & Midwest Academy of Ambulatory Foot Surgery. Member of American College of Sports Medicine. Member of American Medical Athletic Association. Member of Chicago Metropolitan Ski Council.

Prolotherapy in the Treatment of Foot Problems Clinical Correspondence, June 2002. Vol 92- no. 6 Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. Paper on Treatment of Delta-Phalanx of the Foot – submitted for publication to Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery & for Fellowship of ACPPS., September, 1998 Sports Medicine Consultant for the book-Triathlon 101 Essentials for Multisport Success by John Mora – 1999 ISBN 0-88011-811-3 Windy City Sports – October 1996 Marathon Issue “Keeping Your Feet Happy” American Running & Fitness Association, Clinic Advisor & Lifetime Member – Editorial Staff since 1990.

Fellow-American College of Foot & Ankle Orthopedists, since 1991. Fellow-Academy of Ambulatory Foot Surgery, since 1980. Fellow- American Institute of Foot Medicine , since 1987. Fellow-American College of Foot & Ankle Pediatrics, since 1998. Certified in Laser Surgery- by Wenske Laser Center, Ravenswood Hospital, 1991. Certified in Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy – by Doctor’s Hospital, 1991. Certified Preceptorship Director-Scholl College of Podiatry 1993-2006 Board Certified in Foot & Ankle Surgery-A.B.M.S.P., since 1987. Recertified 8/08 till 3/31/2012 Board Certified in Podiatric Foot & Ankle Orthopedics-A.B.P.O.P.P.M., 1991. Recertified 10/2003 till 12/2013 Board Certified in Pain Management-A.A.P.M., since 1990.-retired Clinical Instructor – Department of Medicine at Rosalind Franklin University 10/2007 until present