Podiatry/Cryo Surgery

Left Foot
Left Foot  
I had cryo surgery approx 6 weeks ago for relief from morton neuroma.  I did have some immediate relief, however I am experiencing pain in my 2nd toe now, and the pain is from the joint.  I also have a small knot that has devoloped near the incision site (which healed well) which I've been told is scar tissue.  And with simple massage I should be able to make it disapper.  I have been back for 2 follow up appointments since the surgery and have been told that my 'healing' can take up to 12 months.  At the rate my 2nd toe aches and is becoming mis shaped, I am not sure I will be able to walk within 12 months.  Any suggestions?

PS.  3 days after my surgery my big toenail turned black & blue and is getting ready to fall off.  No idea what caused this.

Although cryosurgery can take several months to fully heal, the pain should be resolving instead of getting worse.  Was the cryosurgery performed in the office or at a surgery center?  Did they use an ultrasound to guide the cryo probe onto the neuroma?  If no ultrasound was used, did they stimulate the nerve to make sure they were on it?  These are all questions that should be answered before going any further with what could have happened and why you're still having pain.  The knot on the top of your foot could be scar tissue but stab incisions for cryosurgery usually have little to no incision site to scar.  Reply with some answers to the above questions and let's see if we can come up with some answers for you.  Check out our cryosurgery website and see if your procedure was performed similar to ours.  If not what was the difference?

Dr. Leslie Johnston, DPM

Tampa, FL
Advanced Podiatry

Leslie Johnston

any podiatry related question. bunions, hammertoes, arthritis in foot and ankle, lumps and bumps, foot pain, ankle pain, neuromas, heel pain, plantar fasciitis, diabetic foot care, ulcers, neuropathy, charcot, ankle replacements, trauma, sports medicine, Achilles injuries, ankle sprains ect.

Currently working as an Associate for Advanced Podiatry in Tampa, FL. Finished 3 year surgical residency with additional certification in rearfoot and ankle reconstruction. Worked in wound care clinic at Veteran's Hospital using advance wound care techniques.

DPM degree earned from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine 2005-2009 completed 3 year podiatric medical and surgical residency training at James A. Haley VA 2009-2012. Board qualified status for American Board of Podiatric Surgeons in foot and rearfoot and ankle surgery 2012.

1st runner up in Resident case presentations at annual Science and Management Symposium 2012 Who's who among colleges and universities 2009