Podiatry/How To Fix My Crooked Toes

Hello Leslie,

The toes of my left foot have curled inwards.  I stand on my feet all day as a primary school teacher.  I have worn shoes that are not closed in.  The condition has got worse in the past few weeks.  And just recently I've begun to get intermittent numbness on the top of the foot.

My partner has put up a video on YouTube of my toes to show you what I have.  The link to the video is at :-

I am 59 and of Swedish and German background, in case this helps.

Grateful for any advice.

Yours sincerely,

Jenny, I would suggest you see a podiatrist.  The youtube video you sent shows severe inward toeing.  Usually this is something people are born with.  Over time, you can develop arthritis and inflammation to the soft tissue because the foot is acting in such an abnormal position.  There are limited conservative treatment options available but I would definitely consider placing you in custom orthotics.  Surgical correction of the toes would also be a consideration but xrays should be taken before determining what type of surgical procedure you would benefit from the most.  The intermittent numbness is most likely caused by abnormal strain you place on the tendons and soft tissue with walking or standing for prolonged periods of time.  Please let me know if you need any further information.

Dr. Leslie Johnston, DPM

Tampa, FL
Advanced Podiatry  
Advanced Podiatry Facebook Page

Leslie Johnston

any podiatry related question. bunions, hammertoes, arthritis in foot and ankle, lumps and bumps, foot pain, ankle pain, neuromas, heel pain, plantar fasciitis, diabetic foot care, ulcers, neuropathy, charcot, ankle replacements, trauma, sports medicine, Achilles injuries, ankle sprains ect.

Currently working as an Associate for Advanced Podiatry in Tampa, FL. Finished 3 year surgical residency with additional certification in rearfoot and ankle reconstruction. Worked in wound care clinic at Veteran's Hospital using advance wound care techniques.

DPM degree earned from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine 2005-2009 completed 3 year podiatric medical and surgical residency training at James A. Haley VA 2009-2012. Board qualified status for American Board of Podiatric Surgeons in foot and rearfoot and ankle surgery 2012.

1st runner up in Resident case presentations at annual Science and Management Symposium 2012 Who's who among colleges and universities 2009