Podiatry/Lapidus Bunionectomy with Gastroc Recession

Question
Hello Dr. Johnston,

Thank you in advance for your answer to my question.  I am 5 1/2 weeks post op a Lapidus Bunionectomy with Gastroc Recession.  What percentage of your patients with this procedure still have edema in their foot whenever their foot is in a dependent position?  I am doing the best lymphatic massage I can with a cast on to keep my edema low, but it is frustrating that it keeps increasing.  How long do you cast the foot with the above procedure?  

Thanks again for your input!

Jackie

Answer
Hi Jackie, swelling is common post operatively for foot surgery, especially a Lapidus.  Usually a patient is switched from a cast to a removable boot around 6-8 weeks.  That the time period it takes for bone to heal properly after surgery.  Swelling can occur for an additional 3-6 months after foot surgery.  Once your cast is removed, you can use an ace wrap or compression sock to manually manipulate the swelling from the foot.

Sincerely,

Dr. Leslie Johnston, DPM

Podiatry

Leslie Johnston