Podiatry/Leg and foot numbness after Bunionectomy/gastroc slide

Hello.  I am 2 weeks post op a lapidus bunionectomy and gastroc slide.  I have constant tingling and numbness on the lateral aspect of my ankle and foot since the surgery.  I can feel deep pressure sensation but am unable to feel light touch in this area.  My sensation to my toes is normal.  Is this common?  When can I expect this to improve?

Thank you for your help1

Numbness, tingling and burning are very common after only 2 weeks of surgery.  Surgery can cause the nerves to become inflamed and swelling can press against the nerves causing complete numbness initially.  After the swelling starts to go down, you'll notice more burning and tingling because the nerves are starting to "fire" again in a regular manner.  Don't panic!  Light touch is one of the first things to go after surgery because of swelling.  Deep pressure you will always be able to feel.  Keep the foot elevated at home to decrease edema and make sure you have a compression device such as ace wrap on your dressing.  If you have a cast on, definitely keep the foot elevated as much as possible.

Dr. Leslie Johnston, DPM

Tampa, FL
Advanced Podiatry  
Advanced Podiatry Facebook Page

Leslie Johnston

any podiatry related question. bunions, hammertoes, arthritis in foot and ankle, lumps and bumps, foot pain, ankle pain, neuromas, heel pain, plantar fasciitis, diabetic foot care, ulcers, neuropathy, charcot, ankle replacements, trauma, sports medicine, Achilles injuries, ankle sprains ect.

Currently working as an Associate for Advanced Podiatry in Tampa, FL. Finished 3 year surgical residency with additional certification in rearfoot and ankle reconstruction. Worked in wound care clinic at Veteran's Hospital using advance wound care techniques.

DPM degree earned from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine 2005-2009 completed 3 year podiatric medical and surgical residency training at James A. Haley VA 2009-2012. Board qualified status for American Board of Podiatric Surgeons in foot and rearfoot and ankle surgery 2012.

1st runner up in Resident case presentations at annual Science and Management Symposium 2012 Who's who among colleges and universities 2009