Podiatry/running injury

Question
Hi! I'm 27/male. I've been active in sports my whole life and have always had good health. Last year I decided to get into running competitively, and made a few mistakes early on while pushing too hard in training, this includes a bad pair of shoes that had horrible heel/toe protection, and it lead to me injuring the underside of both feet. Mainly it was the balls of my feet or the metatarsals that hurt the most. At first it felt like a small bruise so I ignored the pain and continued to train hard. After a while I had to cut down on my training significantly due to pain in my left foot. The right one seemed to heal up okay and it doesn't hurt much anymore. Then I had to stop running completely to let it heal. It's been 2 months since I last ran, and I only ran 1-2 times the month prior to that. But my left foot's metatarsals still hurt from time to time, so I know they aren't healed yet. I never went to the doctor due to lack of insurance, but I'm sure they're stress fractured. 3 of them, minus the pinky and big toes. I can sit down and put my foot under me, then lift my heel and push backwards with my toes, similar to "cracking" your kunckles by stretching back the fingers. when I put this kind of pressure on those 3 toes, the pain is significant.

How much longer do you suggest I wait to run? I'm taking it easy by not doing exercises or activities that will aggravate the toes, but I wonder how many more months it will take. Should I get one of those walking boots perhaps? I know you will suggest getting and x-ray done but I can't afford to see a doctor right now with no insurance. Besides I can walk around and do mostly anything without feeling any pain. What do you think?

Thanks for your time.

Answer
Dear Max,
This Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618,Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
For your painful foot......
Sounds like metatarsalgia- irritation of the ball of your foot. Try to use a roomy shoe that does not crunch your toes-this will put more pressure on the metatarsal joints. Possibly a metatarsal pad and an orthotic. It would be rare to suffer three stress fractures. It should take @ 3-4 weeks for the metatarsalgia to quiet down. Without some shoe/orthotic modification-the injury will probably return.
Call your local Board Certified podiatrist & tell them you have no insurance & ask what the cash discount is. Try to find an office where the discount is between 25-35%.
Hospitals sometimes offer a 25% no insurance discount.
Hope This Helps!
and
Good Luck!
The podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in foot & ankle pain.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Podiatry

Dr George Tsatsos