Podiatry/Permanent removal of all 10 toenails

Question
I have suffered from Dermatillomnia for most of my life.  I pick at my scalp, arms, legs, etc..  But specifically I rip off the entire nail repeatedly of 8/10 of my toenails.  This causes much pain not only while tearing them off but specifically during the regrowth.  I have had many infections, puss build up, and ingrown nails which then I just rip them off again.  I am currently taking Prozac to help with the OCD and have been to numerous therapists. I am wanting to just remove all ten of my toenails permanently.  I do have insurance, but it does not cover mental health.  My question is, would this is be something that would be covered? If not, what costs would I be looking at? And in your opinion is this a smart choice?

Answer
Dear Jena,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
For your toenails. The podiatrist you see should be able to find a medical diagnosis to cover the toenail removal. I'm sure that after being removed several times-the growth must be affected.
Be aware that there may be some regrowth & may need to be treated again. It is important that the Podiatrist you choose should be talking to your physician to coordinate your meds and post -op care. Perhaps do one foot at a time-to allow you to move around. Although toenail removal usually has minimal pain-you still want to be conservative. If you don't feel comfortable with the first Podiatrist-seek another opinion.  The decision to remove your nails should be done with you and your physicians. If this will help the quality  of your life-go for it!
Hope this helps
Good Luck!
The podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Podiatry

Dr George Tsatsos