Podiatry/Weird Toenail

the toenail next to my big toe is curved upward and stop growing a couple months ago. the toenail has been curved upward for at least over ten years. I don't recall injuring it or having a fungus. It used to grow but because it curved upwards, it always looked tiny. Recently it stopped growing. Is there anything I can do or is there a procedure to fix the nail so it looks like the others...or normal? It's so tiny and i'm very self conscious of it when wearing open toe shoes. I do not have any pain and the color of the appears to be normal

Toenails can develop discoloration, thickening or abnormal curvature usually from one of two things: toenail fungus or pressure.  Toenail fungus can be present for years without knowing it is a fungus.  It can affect only one toe as well.  Pressure from a toe being contracted or crooked (like a hammertoe) can cause increase pressure to the nail.  This causes the nail to become thicker because it is trying to protect itself from abnormal pressure distribution.  If you have a fungus, there are topical and oral antifungals available as well as toenail fungus laser treatment.  If you want to the have nail permanently removed, there is also a procedure for that as well that a podiatrist can do for you in the office.  Usually when you have the nail removed, the nailbed develops a thick layer which looks similar to a nail and you can't even notice.  I would schedule an appointment with a podiatrist to go over your different options.

Dr. Leslie Johnston, DPM

Leslie Johnston

any podiatry related question. bunions, hammertoes, arthritis in foot and ankle, lumps and bumps, foot pain, ankle pain, neuromas, heel pain, plantar fasciitis, diabetic foot care, ulcers, neuropathy, charcot, ankle replacements, trauma, sports medicine, Achilles injuries, ankle sprains ect.

Currently working as an Associate for Advanced Podiatry in Tampa, FL. Finished 3 year surgical residency with additional certification in rearfoot and ankle reconstruction. Worked in wound care clinic at Veteran's Hospital using advance wound care techniques.

DPM degree earned from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine 2005-2009 completed 3 year podiatric medical and surgical residency training at James A. Haley VA 2009-2012. Board qualified status for American Board of Podiatric Surgeons in foot and rearfoot and ankle surgery 2012.

1st runner up in Resident case presentations at annual Science and Management Symposium 2012 Who's who among colleges and universities 2009