Podiatry/Plantar fasciitis?

Question
I'm a swimmer but I occasionally run and do other running activities. I haven't ran in about a month, or done very anything active outside of the pool. A few days ago I ran about 2 miles and then played ultimate frisbee for an hour and a half right after. About half way through our game I noticed a sharp pain in the bottom and outside of my left foot. I dont remember falling on it wrong or twisting it though. I just ignored it and kept playing, while walking back to my dorm realizing how bad it was hurting. Still after about 20 steps of walking it begins to be almost unbearable. It hurts to flex my foot outwards or point it. The area specifically is about middle way down from my pinky toe to the very bottom of my foot, the pain is very sharp when walking or putting any weight at all right up past my heel and on the side. If I stand flat foot it only hurts a little but if I roll on the outer of my foot its very sharp. While walking its the initial stepping and once I begin to pick up my foot when it's at it's worst. It doesn't look swollen or anything either. Any ideas of what it is? I've had a stress fracture before but that was from all of a sudden running 3 miles everyday for a few weeks, but this was very sudden and out of no where. I can swim fine with it but I'm not fond of walking everywhere on campus in pain. I've been icing it and trying not to walk around as much as possible but it hasn't helped. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Answer
Dear Niki,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
For your foot pain.....Sounds like you might have irritated your plantar fascia.
Try PRICE
Protect-Try to wear shoes with arch support and @ .5  inch heel. Lifts in gym shoes are OK.
Rest-Speaks for itself-try to take 2 days off and ice aggressively.
Ice-as much as possible-45 minutes on, 15 minutes off-several times a day-more if it's hurting.
Compress-A self stick Ace type wrap of the arch would be appropriate.
Elevate-At end of day and in bed.
If it hurt worse in the morning or after sitting-also could be plantar fasciitis.
Try gentle stretches of the arch before you get up and do the stretches @ 3times a day-gently.
The above recommendations will also help a tendon or muscle strain of the foot.
Does not sound like a stress fracture
If these symptoms persist or progress-see your podiatrist

Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
The podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661  

Podiatry

Dr George Tsatsos