Podiatry/Cuboid Fracture

Question
Hello -

I broke my cuboid bone (5+ fractures) and had surgery on 1/10/13 to put a plate/screws in and repair the bone.  The surgeon used bone graft and the plates/screws to fuse it all together again.  He often would refer to my fracture as being a "jigsaw puzzle".

6 months later and I am still experience pain when I stand for greater than a few minutes and walk distance.  I have not been able to run or do intense physical exercise since the fracture.  I received a cortisone shot to try and reduce the inflammation.  That worked for about two weeks, when it wore off the pain came back worse (or perhaps I was just not used to it for the two weeks prior).

Currently, I do physical therapy 3x a week for about 45-60mins.  I have regained range of motion, but the pain is consistent and sometimes burning sensations.

My surgeon is recommending taking the plate/screws out as there is no other option at this point.  Do you have any knowledge on this type of situation?  I try researching only the cuboid fracture is not very common and the ones I have seen do not end up with the plates and screws.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Dear Kimberly,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
Perhaps the cuboid screw & plate removal may help. There is a chance the numbness may increase, due to repeated surgery at the same area of the foot. If the cuboid fracture was through the joint-then your symptoms may not improve. Screws & plates may hurt if they can be felt-unable to tell you why they would cause the symptoms described. Perhaps seek a second opinion regarding the pain & perhaps try orthotics and comfortable shoes first. If you are able to do your activities-you may not need the second surgery. If you are overweight-now is a good time to to begin a diet. Less weight on the foot will produce less symptoms.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
The Chicago Podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Podiatry

Dr George Tsatsos