Podiatry/Old Lisfrancs Injury?

Question
I am a healthy, active 27-year-old mother of a two year old.  In July of 2012, I stepped off the edge of the sidewalk, and rolled my foot on the lateral side of the foot.  I had immediate swelling and bruising over the 1st and 2nd metatarsal.  Radiographs were taken, no fractures, told a sprain and it would heal.  After months of no progress, a new Dr. put me in a CAM boot for 6 weeks.  This seemed to help some, but once out of the boot, was having bruising and pain again.  I went to an ortho dr. (9 months later now) who told me I have a lisfranc injury.  He injected cortisone into the affected area, and I had severe pain and swelling from the injection for days, he told me to stay off of it, and it would eventually heal.  After I returned with same symptoms, he put me in a weight-bearing cast.  I was uncomfortable with this, and then sought a podiatrist's help.  He feels like I dislocated the lisfranc joint in July 2012, and now have postraumatic arthritis.  He suggests surgery to clean the joint and fusion.  He also does not see anything on rediographs.  I am trying not to do CT/MRI because I have no insurance, and most of the doctors I have seen have suggested that it would not change the treatment protocol any.  I am concerned about having a fusion, as most people have more problems with the fusion than is worth the surgery.  I am concerned about loss of mobility in my foot, and continued inability to weightbear normally, as well as concerned I will never be able to wear real shoes again.  I am currently in a CAM boot until I can get into surgery.  My current symptoms are:  bruising on top of foot; lisfranc joints, metatarsal 1 and 2, numbness and/or tingling when that area is touched, inability to wear any arched shoes( all I can wear are flip flops), inability to push a clutch in on a car, inability to walk much at all, every time I step on it wrong, it swells up and bruises worse.  Do you think fusion of the lisfranc joints is a viable option for me?  I understand the posttraumatic arthritis must be dealt with surgically, but am looking for any alternatives to fusion if they are viable options for me.

I appreciate your opinion!

Answer
Dear Jen,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
For your suspected Lisfranc injury-you may have some additional injuries that may not be visible by x-ray. Can't hurt to seek an additional opinion. Then decide on the MRI. In your case-work out a cash deal with an MRI place-if surgery & an MRI continues to be a recommendation. Fusions in that area may have less issues post-op-since there is minimal movement in the midfoot joints of the foot.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
The Chicago Podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the podquestioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Podiatry

Dr George Tsatsos